Saturday, November 26, 2011

Philly at it's Finest!

Last weekend Eric and I had our friends watch the girls for us while we took a trip in to the city. We really don't live that far from the city, but while we were on the train, I realized how grateful I am that we live as far away as we do. It is nice to live in a place where Eric's commute to school isn't too long.
We had fun in the city, though it did make me realize how insane I think people are for wanting to live right in the city...it's a mad-house! It sure is a different way of life!
This is the old City Hall building where the US supreme court met.
This is supposedly one of the first banks in the United States.
This is a room where the supreme court met. They have it set up to look the way it did when they were meeting.
China-town
This was one of the streets we were walking down. We thought it was so pretty with all the trees hanging over.
This is the old train station.
This is the Korean War Memorial. It was really crazy to see so many names of so many people being remembered for their efforts to protect our freedoms. It is a beautiful memorial.
The old cobblestone streets are really pretty.
We were going to eat at Jim's Steaks, but chose to eat somewhere else because the line was horrendous! Everyone says that in order to get the real "Philly Experience" you have to eat a Philly Cheese Steak from Jim's...I guess next time we go to the city we will have to hit that up.
We enjoyed seeing the old military museum.
I don't know what this building was, but I think it looks awesome, and you can see the old cobblestone street and get the "old time" feel with the horse and buggy in the picture.
Behind me is part of Constitution Hall. We went inside and got to see a room where the supreme court met back in the late 1700's.
This was my first time on the train...it was pretty exciting! Eric says that it gets pretty old riding every day, and the excitement wears off pretty quickly!
Our trip to the city was a lot of fun. I do have to admit, I think I had my fill after just a few hours. We didn't get to see all the things we would have liked to, mostly because we didn't know exactly where we were going. Also because there were lots of lines for things. We saw the Liberty Bell from outside, but didn't wait in line to get up close to it...the line was soooo, so long. We know that is part of going to the city, but we didn't want to waste too much of our time standing in lines because we had to get back to the kids. Next time we go, we hope to have a better idea of where we are going and can make a better use of our time. We also want to know more of the history about the sites.

2 comments:

Super B said...

What a cool city to live in!
I am glad you guys are taking time to enjoy the city while you live there! Love you!

Unknown said...

Fun. Can't wait to come visit and get to see it myself.